Tonight I made an amazing creamy mushroom risotto. My favourite thing about risotto is the texture; though I used to despise the texture, I now love it. I have been trying to use up what is currently in my pantry in an attempt to minimise my expenses and cut back on what I am spending on groceries each week. I had some risotto rice and mushrooms, as well as all the other ingredients required to create a masterpiece. A lot of recipes call for oil whether it be coconut oil, olive oil or another form of oil but I tend to avoid using too much oil in cooking if it is avoidable. This recipe worked perfectly without the use of oil; it didn’t stick to the saucepan at all!
So, without further ado, here is how I whipped up a creamy, cheesy, vegan dream.
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 white onion, diced (or shallots if you prefer)
- 3 garlic cloves, diced very small
- 2 cups of thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 2 cups of your choice of stock (I have used both a vegetable stock and a vegan chicken stock – both created a great flavour)
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar (optional – however I find it is a great additional flavour)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional) (we all know this isn’t REALLY optional)
- Salt & pepper
I also recommend using fresh parsley to serve as this would add some extra colour and flavour however, I am broke this week so I made do with what I had available to me.
- Heat a saucepan on the stove, and soften the garlic and onion on medium-low heat in water.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the risotto rice and pour in the stock and white wine vinegar (if using) immediately.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for approximately 30 minutes, or until all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked. If you deem it necessary, add extra hot water.
- Once the rice is cooked to your satisfaction, stir in the nutritional yeast, and season with salt and pepper. Also go ahead and add a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
- Serve and enjoy your fantastically creamy mushroom risotto!
I hope you enjoy this risotto as much as I do. It’s such a simple, quick and easy meal to make when you’re short on time or have other things to get done around the kitchen. If you try it, let me know what you think and show me a photo of your masterpiece!
It’s like a snuggle from the inside on a chilly Autumn evening!